I think I am the only one of my friends that has not used Groupon. It is interesting to read comments from Eyecare Professionals as they wonder if Groupon is the way to go. Concerns over profitability and not discounting their services seems to be the top issues.
On the other side of the coin I bet most eyecare professionals will be using a new site EyeDeal.ly which is basically a specialized B2B Groupon Buying platform for eyecare professionals only. Why, because discount buying- shopping by both consumers and retailers has become the norm. Who doesn’t want a deal?
Launched this week, Daniel Rostenne came up with this brilliant idea about 6 months ago and I think this is great for both buyers and sellers of optical products. Sellers need to get rid of product and buyers always looking for discounts on products they use.
Pros For Eyecare Retailers
- Discounts range from 50% off list
- Don’t need it now, there are weekly deals, just keep looking. Sign up for updates
- Cost savings on re-saleable items, increasing profitability and or using for your own Groupon marketing, Facebook Contests, Twitter and more.
- Available to opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologist, which levels the discount structure and playing field
- Helps to compete with online retailers
- Win, Win for both eyecare retailers and eyecare vendors
Cons: The Pros outweigh the cons
- No time to think about it, limited time frame to pick up the deal. All this is a little planning, and can be easily overcome.
- Must pay now, although that could be a good thing by controlling costs.
- Must think no returns or exchanges. As with all good deals, all sales are final. There seems to be no written policy, but I would assume this. Also think this is a good thing.
I have several thoughts on this:
* This is going to be big and offers lots of opportunities and promotional marketing for eyecare retailers.
* This is really good if you are already using the products, how can you lose?
* For those who have been reluctant to try Groupon, think if you like this concept how do you think your patients and potential patients like it.
You can also see them on