Recently I was speaking with an optometrist, who for the first time mentioned the Internet was becoming competition. Lucky for him, it just started to hit him, wherein 10 years ago, I remember losing our first customer (optical retailer) because our products were on Ebay.
- 14,079 Eyeglass items were listed on Ebay-
- 68,247 Sunglass items were listed on Ebay
- Included- Armani, Cartier,Kawalsaki, Gucci , Cazal , Porsche, Oakley
- 506 Entries for Contact Lenses
Then you have the Fakes-
“Luxury Retailers Want eBay To Police For Knockoffs Morning Edition, July 4, 2008 · A French court ruled this week that eBay must pay Louis Vuitton more than $60 million in damages for allowing fake goods to be sold through its site. Co-host Ari Shapiro talks with Chris Sprigman, a professor of intellectual property law at the University of Virginia, about the implications of the ruling.
What do you do about it? You have 3 choices- Beat um, Join um or Ignore Um!
The Good and Bad News
The Good News
- The Internet is an Impersonal Shopping Experience
- You can’t trust exactly what you are going to get if you get it. Scammers Abound!
- You have to use PayPal- (paying is almost mandatory) one more account to set up!
- Good deals are getting harder- Auctions are now 60% of eBay transactions, down from 80% just a couple of years ago.
- The site is too large, too much stuff- can be confusing
- Resolving Problems may take time and effort
- Only about 10% of the worlds population is online. Secondly, out of those 10%, probably only half know about, care about and use eBay. And out of THOSE people, many are buyers only and don’t have a clue about selling on eBay.
The Bad News
- You can shop 24/7 on Ebay
- More Retailers are using E-bay as a storefront, thus providing more products
- You can still get some good deals
- Sales of jewelry and watches — online, fell 24 percent compared to a 34 percent decline in brick and mortar stores.
Choice #1 Ignore ‘Um!
- That might be a viable alternative but this is not just about Ebay- it’s about all Internet marketing/auction programs.
Choice #2 Beating ‘Um:
- Get your customer service levels above and beyond.
- Refocus marketing efforts in areas where buyers are less likely to have Internet access (retirement homes)
- Look for a niche or products that are not seen or rarely seen on Ebay
- Spiff up the office to become more welcoming- water, coffee, cookies to patients coming in.
- Have Scheduled Events to keep your patients coming back
- Offer a convenient service to patients and potential patients
Choice #3 Join ‘Um
- Sell your products on Ebay as well
- Sell your products on your website
- Sell Your products on other auction sites
Other Online Auctions
Or sell any eco friendly merchandise on