The International Opticians Association (IOA) has opened entries for the Silmo IOA International Optician of the Year Award. This innovative award, first given in 2018, recognizes the importance of the optician in the optical business and their role in the choice of optimum products for their clientele.
The International Opticians Association (IOA) is an international body dedicated to the enhancement and development of the profession worldwide. It is a strategic partner with Silmo in the development of the profession worldwide.
Fiona Anderson, IOA President says, “We are looking forward to reading entries from outstanding opticians from around the world, and are thrilled to be returning to Silmo in September to announce the winner.”
As well as being able to demonstrate that they are a qualified dispensing optician in the country where they practice, the winner of this award will display the following attributes:
- Professionalism – the client is at the heart of their business and receives excellent care.
- Excellent communication skills – both personally and via social media.
- Entrepreneurial spirit – with solid business acumen highlighted through the success of their enterprise.
- Innovation – within their business model/product offer/shop design.
- Specialization – with a reputation in a specific branch of optics.
- Creativity – both in the products they offer and the way they practice.
- Engagement – with the profession, the community, charitable endeavors, and industry.
- Advocacy – championing the profession of dispensing.
IOA members, country members, and industry partners will be able to nominate opticians worldwide. These people will be contacted and asked to fill in a dossier. The dossiers will be scrutinized by a panel made up of a number of industry experts. A shortlist will be established and the winner will be announced during the prestigious Silmo d’Or ceremony in Paris France.
Nominations should be made on the form here by 31 May 2022.
As well as the award, the winner will also win a trip to Silmo 2023 (economy airfare and hotel).
The 2021 winner, chosen from a competitive field, was Helen Whitaker, the first woman to win the award. Helen runs Secure Vision optical in British Columbia, Canada. Helen is also the founder of the Secure Vision Mobile Optical Academy. Beyond her work in her local area, Helen also supports Innovative Communities, particularly the Kenya – Kawangware Initiatives, sponsoring children and traveling to the community to host an eye clinic for the local learning center.
To find out more visit www.ioassn.org/award