This Optical Valentine Tip was submitted by Kelly Gornick from Signet Armorlite
Dear Valentine: LOVE Your Customer
All of your customers have done something for you – they became your customer, so don’t forget to find a way to say thank you again and again.It’s the little gestures and comments, when least expected, that go a long way. Even a simple hand-written thank-you note is more valuable than most people think.People remember people who remember them. Develop different and unique ways to share your appreciation and thanks. Below are some easy ideas to get you started:
- Send a Birthday Card, or better yet, a Happy HALF Birthday card and offer a coupon for half-off something during the month of their HALF Birthday.
- Partner with others in your community, like a massage therapy school to provide hand and neck massages for optical patients, or a local author to do a book signing at your optical office, or a local pizza parlor or smoothie shop to provide a treat in exchange for the advertising.
- Provide refreshments in your lobby. The smell of fresh-popped popcorn or fresh-baked cookies puts everyone in a good mood! You could also provide snacks that help to improve eyesight with note cards about the nutritional facts.
Hold customer appreciation days that include special customer discounts, drawings for door prizes and/or gifts with purchases like eyewear screwdriver kits or lens cleaning cloths/cleaner. (The Bag shown here is from Hilco and contains a 1 oz. oval squeeze bottle and Classic micro-fiber cloth – personalization is available on bottle)
- Host a friends and family event where employees and/or optical customers get some kind of a coupon to use during a specific time period.
- Develop an optical customer referral or retention program where you provide a gift or discount for each customer referral, years of customer loyalty or based on customer purchases. You might start by creating a punch card or reward points program.
- Don’t forget to publicize your activities, new programs and events by posting it on your web site, using on-hold messages, recall cards, direct mail or email, customer newsletters, flyers/hand-outs, advertisements, outdoor/indoor signage, etc. Who knows…you may even attract new customers!