The OWA is excited to announce this year’s Connection Series event: The White House Doctor, featuring author Dr. Connie Mariano, at Vision Expo West on Thursday, September 23, from noon – 1:30 PM PST.
The White House Doctor, one of OWA’s 2021 annual book selections, recounts Dr. Mariano’s nine years of serving under three sitting presidents. She participated in world headline-making news events and traveled all over the world, caring for dignitaries and members of the First Family.
Dr. Mariano has been the first in the following notable achievements:
- The first military woman to become the White House Physician to the President
- The first woman Director of the White House Medical Unit
- The first Filipino American in US history to become a Navy Rear Admiral
After leaving the White House in 2001, Dr. Mariano became a consultant in the Executive Health Program at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale from July 2001 to October 2005. In November 2005, Dr. Mariano founded the Center for Executive Medicine, a medical concierge practice that provides presidential-quality medical care to CEOs and their families. Dr. Mariano will be available afterward for a book signing, so either bring your own copy or purchase a book there!
- When: Thursday, September 23, noon-1:30 pm PST
- Where: Venetian Level 2 – Titian, Rm 2302
- Cost: $35 for OWA members, $40 for non-members. Everyone is welcome and a boxed lunch will be served! Seating is limited so advance registration is required.
- RSVP by September 17th: https://www.opticalwomen.com/events-registration.asp?action=insert-registration&EventID=92
Our members’ health and safety is our absolute top priority, so we are working closely with the Vision Council and the Venetian Resort to ensure that all necessary precautions are being taken to help support a safe environment for attendees. For more information on the guidelines and protocols as outlined by the CDC and VisionSAFE, please click here.
During the event, we will also take this opportunity to recognize our 2020 Leadership Scholarship recipients: Jasmine Broussard, Stephanie Espinosa, Cathy Firman, Kristen Reynolds Hopper, Kylie Matya, Sandra Mohr, Courtney Myers, Arlene Rinaldi, and Kathie Sapnas.
Many thanks to OWA’s Individual Contributors who make these scholarships possible!
ABOUT THE OPTICAL WOMEN’S ASSOCIATION
Founded in 1997 as a non-profit, the Optical Women’s Association is committed to supporting and promoting the professional development of women involved in all facets of the optical industry.
As the vision of the OWA evolves and expands, it maintains the focus of the OWA’s founding principles and core mission: to enhance and promote the leadership role of women in the optical industry through networking, education, and peer support.