PINELLAS PARK, Fla., Feb., 2014 – Transitions Optical, Inc. has announced the winners of its annual Students of Vision Scholarship contest –– a program supported by the Transitions Healthy Sight for Life™ Fund. This year’s Share Your Impact contest asked optometry and opticianry students to submit a short video; photograph or poster; drawing, painting or illustration; or a short story that demonstrated how they will use (or have used) their professional expertise to impact the lives of others. More than 45 entries were submitted through the Transitions Students of Vision Scholarship Facebook App and grand prize packages were awarded to ten students. Eleven additional students received finalist prize packages.
“The goal of our scholarship contest was to encourage students to be inspired to make a difference in the optical industry while enjoying what they do, and we saw that exhibited in their the submissions,” said Cheri Guy, professional development manager, Transitions Optical.
Finalists were selected by a panel of judges based on their ability to answer the two required questions: 1. How did, or will you use your professional expertise to make a difference on the lives of others? 2. As a result, what impact did, or will it have in their lives? Grand prize winners were then selected based on creativity and clear communication. Grand prize winners received $500 and an all-expense paid trip to Tampa, Fla. in April for a weekend of education and leadership training from industry experts and a tour of the Transitions Optical headquarters. Finalists received a $100 cash prize.
Details for the 2014 Students of Vision Scholarship contest will be announced in the fall.
Grand Prize Winners Include:
- Clay Connolly, Michigan College of Optometry
- Detlef Hans Sleichter, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences University School of Optometry
- Elsa Caroline, SUNY College of Optometry
- Jebadiah Boseck, J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Katherine Snikrah, The New England College of Optometry
- Linh Phan, University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry
- Taylor Chung, Seneca College
- Vanessa Meyerowitz, SUNY College of Optometry
Additional Finalists Include:
- Allie Thompson, Western University College of Optometry
- Elizabeth Rafi, Durham Technical Community College
- Candace Brown, University of Houston College of Optometry
- Hector Santos, Erie Community College
- Kishor Sapkota, Universidade do Minho
- Lara DiPasquale, University of Waterloo, School of Optometry and Vision Science
- Sara Rosen, Hillsborough Community College
- Sudheshna Miryala, InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry
- Vitto Mena, Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University
ABOUT TRANSITIONS OPTICAL
Since Transitions Optical, headquartered in Pinellas Park, Fla., was founded more than 20 years ago, the company has been driven by an innovative spirit and a commitment to partnership. As the leading provider of photochromics to optical manufacturers, Transitions Optical offers state-of-the-art light management technology in virtually every major lens design and material encompassing a family of everyday adaptive lenses and performance sun lenses.
Everyday lens options include Transitions® Signature™ lenses, the most responsive lens with full indoor clarity; Transitions® XTRActive® lenses which provide superior darkness outdoors; and the revolutionary Transitions® Vantage™ lenses, the first and only photochromic lenses to darken and polarize outdoors.
Transitions Optical’s performance sunwear line includes a range of products customized in partnership with other best-in-class brands. Understanding that the right equipment can provide an advantage, the products are all designed to improve depth perception, clarify color and increase contrast for specific outdoor activities.
Transitions Optical is dedicated to promoting healthy sight worldwide and to supporting its partners and optical professionals with tools, programs and resources to aid in their individual efforts and help strengthen industry growth. For more information, visit TransitionsPRO.com, or contact Transitions Optical Customer Service at (800) 848-1506 (United States) or (877) 254-2590 (Canada)